Thursday 23 September 2010

A Grolsch night

Guess what? I got off work at 8pm today. Yeah, not 11pm or midnight, but 8pm. That's only 11 working hours today, not my usual 12-14 hours. It certainly feels good. As soon as I was out the office door, I knew this was a rare opportunity for me to kick back, have an ice cold beer and a proper meal. I've not had a proper meal for days. It has been "to go" for the past 2 weeks, usually consumed in front of the laptop in a hurried fashion.

And so I headed for my neighbourhood bar - a bar with great food and an excellent selection of imported beers, although mostly German and Dutch beers. However, to me, these are the best beers anyway and I would gladly pick from a selection of only German or Dutch beers. I walked in, sat at the bar. It was a relatively quiet evening considering today being a weekday but I was loving the somewhat solitary surroundings. The bartender, noticing it was me yet again, uttered "Grolsch?" I smiled at the mention of Grolsch. The name was comforting almost, suggestive; it surely took me away from my daily grind. The trademark Grolsch bottle was opened right in front of me and there I sat, looking at it in anticipation. Oh, I really love that bottle. It is one of a kind! Aesthetically pleasing...  I then enjoyed my ice-cold beer while I waited for my favourite dish to arrive. Sheer bliss!

I had one of the best dinners in a long time. Refreshing drink, delectable food, relaxing environment - what more could I ask for. Well, I could have used some company. Yet, I thoroughly enjoyed my alone time with a beer in one hand and the other hand rubbing a truly satisfied tummy :-)

This was supposed to be sent out last night. I dosed off at the laptop and woke up on my bed, 30 minutes before a meeting. And it took me 75 minutes to get to work during rush hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment