Wednesday 11 December 2013

Outgrowing the old

I was having a conversation with my girlfriend about how I feel I don't fit in with a certain group of friends and how I may have changed. I spoke about how I think I'm on an entirely different wavelength now; jokes that I would laugh at previously are somewhat offensive now. Crude comments that I used to let slide are now questioned. Generally, I feel I just don't get along as well as I used to with this group of friends. And so I asked my girlfriend if this was normal, if I have "outgrown" this group of friends. Mind you, all of the guys in the group are buddies I've known for at least 15 years, some longer. Some are guys I grew up with. But the question remains, have I outgrown them? Have I changed? Are these things a usual occurrence in life?

I then stumbled on this while looking for a jpeg to go with this post.

2 comments:

  1. This basically happened to me, quite a while back actually. In my case I stopped drinking after a bad car wreck in which I was drunk. The friends that I spent time with then found me boring because I didn't want to hang out and party. As a result I grew and learned that alcohol didn't work for me. I didn't make many new friends afterward but have had a fairly satisfying life as a result.

    When you start looking at yourself asking what you want to do, what you like, what the company you keep says and does you know that growth or change is calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike, I'm hardly here unless I'm in an introspective state and need to write something, which is the state I'm in now. Was going through my earlier posts and didn't realise you had replied to this. I hear you man. My group of 12 buddies has broken into 3-4 different groups now. People change - I'd like to think I've changed for the better. Others just think they're better.

    ReplyDelete